You've probably heard this before. It's what people use when denouncing gay marriage. It's a sin. It's not natural.
The reason I'm bring this up is because of New York passing a law allowing gay marriage. The locals here in Idaho are up in arms, and bible verses are being tossed around left and right...
My personal opinion is this: I'm for gay marriage. All US citizens should have equal rights. Gay, straight, pick any skin color, IQ of 56 or 156, we are all equal. How is this different than passing a law saying that people without a High School Diploma are not allowed to vote? Discriminating against gays is ok, but we can't discriminate against the stupid? The poor? The people who listen to bluegrass?
But...but... the BIBLE!!! You can't defy the word of God!
Well, I think this whole 'homosexuality is a sin' thing is getting passe. Let's pick another abomination from the bible and start rabblerousing, shall we?
- Shellfish are sinful (Leviticus 11:9-12) "Of the animals that live in the sea or in a river, if the animal has fins and scales, you may eat it. But whatever lives in the sea or in a river and does not have fins and scales -- including the things that fill the water and all other things that live in it -- you should hate. You must not eat any meat from them or even touch their dead bodies, because you should hate them. You must hate any animal in the water that does not have fins and scales."
- Dog Breeds like Labradoodles, farming diverse crops, or wearing a cotton/poly blend will send you to hell (Leviticus 19:19) "Keep my decrees. Do not mate different kinds of animals. Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material."
- Eating your steak rare is going to make God angry (Lev. 19:26) "Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it."
- Shaving your beard (ladies, I'm looking at you...) (Lev. 19:27) "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."
- Tattoos are taboo (Lev 19:28) "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."
- Sorry conservatives, no more poo-pooing illegal immigration (Lev. 19:33-34) "When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. 34 The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God."
Or maybe the next time you get a haircut, and the stylist asks you if you want your sideburns trimmed, smack them with a bible and tell the heathen what's what...
Debating with family one night, one said "Well you can't take everything the Old Testament says as law anymore. Jesus came to Earth, and wrote a new set of rules we follow. Essentially the Old Testament is obsolete."
Oh really? Cool. All those laws above (including the gay stuff) is from the same book in the O.T. If we're saying wearing blended fibers is ok, and planting more than one crop in the field, why are we still hanging on to the belief that homosexuality is evil? The bible doesn't say sin A is worth 5 points and sin B is worth 12... why do we hang on to some but dismiss others?
Now the fun part... I open up the discussion to you.
What are your thoughts on this? I'm not gay, but I think they should have equal rights. I'm not Atheist, but I think some parts of the bible are just as absurd as the people who quote it. What do YOU think??